- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: pepper coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper, paprika
- 1 1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 14 1/2- ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups 1-inch cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped carrots sliced to 1" thick rounds
- 2 tbs fresh parsley
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Mix in paprika and next 8 ingredients. Add water, tomatoes, and lemon juice. Bring to boil. Add squash and carrots.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Add Parsley and chickpeas for last 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper