- 1 head of green cabbage
- 8 green onions finely sliced
- 1 small can mandarin oranges or 2 fresh peeled tangerines
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds toasted
- 2 3 ounce packages ramen noodles
- 1/4 cup sugar or other sweetener
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground if possible
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil with a mild taste
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- For the dressing: Mix sugar, rice vinegar and salt together in small saucepan. Heat over medium until sugar and salt dissolve. Let mixture cool and then combine with remaining dressing ingredients.
- Salad: Combine with cabbage with onions, toasted almonds and sesame seeds, tangerine segments, and dressing. Crush ramen noodles in their package and combine with salad.
- Note: This salad is best if you make it the night before you plan on serving it. The sweet and salty flavors develop overnight and although the cabbage and noodles soften a bit, it still retains it's crunchy texture. A good salad for picnics and lunches since it travels well and wont spoil quickly.