Fava beans are dense with nutrition. They have no saturated fat or cholesterol and contain a high concentration of thiamin, vitamin K, vitamin B-6, potassium, copper, selenium, zinc and magnesium. They are also an inexpensive source of lean protein.
- 1 pound fava beans shelled, cooked, and peeled
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 container trader joes tahini or regular tahini+lemon juice and water to lighten
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Plenty of sea salt to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- First, cook fava beans by adding the shelled beans to boiling water and let cook for about 4 minutes. Then remove from saucepan and immediately plunge into the ice water to halt the cooking. Let the beans cool, then peel the outer skin from each of them.
- In a food processor large bowl (with handheld immersion blender) combine the fava beans with the rest of the ingredients above. Pulse til smooth and adjust seasoning with salt and lemon juice.