This creamy recipe for mashed cauliflower is an easy side dish that will help add more fiber and vitamins to your meal.
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter or Earth Balance
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish
- Optional: 1 clove of garlic diced
- Steam cauliflower until fork tender.
- Place cauliflower in a pot and add the olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic (if desired).
- Use an immersion blender, or a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- For an extra creamy consistency add 1/3 cup of buttermilk or your choice of unsweetened non-dairy milk.
- Taste to see if the cauliflower needs additional salt.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with fresh chives and extra butter.
Steaming is the preferred method of cooking vegetables because it helps retain the taste and nutritional content.