Summer is ripe with both sweet fruits and veggies! Our CSA box this week (early July) features corn and the Hami variety of melon which is sweet and mild and crisp. I wanted to turn the flavor up a notch so I added sweetness with the corn and pepper and some bite with onion and cilantro. I bet a little jalapeño would be great too if you like spice!
This recipe is especially great if you find that you’ve cut into a melon that is not quite ripe yet! For any melon in the muskmelon family you can tell if it’s ripe for by smell (slightly sweet/floral), and it has firm flesh that gives a little under pressure when you squeeze it gently.
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 cup bell peppers (1-2 medium peppers)
- 2 cups firm melon (usually about 1/2 the melon)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 c yellow onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Chop peppers, onion, and melon into small pieces, appx equal in size. Place in a large bowl.
- Remove kernals from the corn cob and add to bowl.
- Chop cilantro and add in.
- Add juice of 1 lemon and a few dashes of salt
- Stir well, and ideally let sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving so the flavors can meld together.