- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 c. cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 med. carrot chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 c. veg. broth chicken broth, or water
- 4 c. chopped Swiss Chard stems removed
- 3 tsp. dried or fresh herbs: thyme dill, basil, parsley
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- Heat oil in a soup pot, add onion, carrots and garlic; saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, bay leaf, and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add Swiss chard and herbs and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add black pepper. Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender (or in batches in a food processor or blender).
- If serving hot, return to soup pot and reheat for 5 minutes. If serving cold, cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.